What is Live Oak Labs?
Live Oak Labs is a fast-paced development shop that functions as a well-funded start-up. We are the technology arm of Live Oak Bank, who has a history of transforming banking thru technology. Having already spun-off two fintech SaaS companies, Live Oak is a different kind of bank and proven leader in banking innovation. We’re on a mission to revolutionize the banking experience, with the use of open banking platforms, native cloud technologies, and modern user experiences, for our modern world.
We’re seeking a Cloud Engineer to join our team in the Wilmington headquarters. This is a unique opportunity for an experienced engineer to join our growing organization in order to influence the future of banking.
What You’ll Do at Live Oak
You'll work on a team responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of production server systems and the architecture that defines the technology, policies, procedures, and processes required for addressing the organization’s technology needs. Our Cloud Engineers possess a sense of urgency while holding themselves to the highest levels of personal and professional integrity. Below are some of the activities you would perform on a regular basis:
- Manage server infrastructure in a scalable, highly available production environment utilizing industry best practices.
- Design, improve, and deploy server applications to meet business requirements that are cost effective and sustainable.
- Translate business requirements to architect appropriate system solutions.
- Participate in design, delivery, and maintenance schemes for Linux and Windows system configurations and patching.
- Participate in automation processes and scripts to optimize our CI/CD integration and server environments.
- Execute technical projects, gather requirements, write project plans, seek approvals, and finally drive progress, towards successful implementations.
- Work closely with other subject matter experts and provide input into annual budget planning for technology migrations and project cost estimation.
- Maintain and guide infrastructure initiatives with the DevOps team.
- Participate in the design, implementation and life cycle management of virtual hardware platforms and components.
- Participate in performance analysis, proactive troubleshooting, and capacity planning.
- Actively participate in outage incidents, ensuring that root-cause analysis is identified, and knowledge gained is applied for process improvement.
- Design, deliver and maintain Business Continuity capabilities for core services and systems where applicable.
- Has responsibility for following regulatory requirements including those pertaining to the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Customer Identification Program (CIP), and OFAC to assist in the identification, detection and determent of money laundering or other unlawful activities.
- Has responsibility to follow and help implement best practices as outlined by the Federal Financial Institution Examination Council (FFIEC) through its IT Examination Handbook booklets.
- Functions as a team and realizes all members of the team are vital to its success.
- Participates in regular on-call schedules for after-hours support.
- Contributes to training and customer support activities as needed.
- Learn quickly and adapt fast. We are looking for folks to lead the charge, not just keep up with it.
Our Cloud Engineer works closely with the Software Engineering team so share many of the same tools including a desktop UNIX variant (Linux, MacOS), Jira for task and change management, Confluence for documentation, and Git to keep track of configuration and script versions. The Cloud Infrastructure team is driving automation through tools such as Ansible and CloudFormation, monitoring the environments with DataDog and PRTG, and implementing best practices for the many Cloud based solutions.
During a normal day a Cloud Engineer might start with questions from the Analytics team on AWS Redshift, then coordinate changes with the Marketing sites in EC2 instances with S3 based video, and then later in the day hop over to Azure to coordinate Corporate software changes.
Cloud Engineers likely to succeed in this role have most of the qualifications listed below:
- 3-5 years previous experience engineering high quality production environments
- 2+ years of experience with AWS or Azure
- Experience maintaining complex Linux or Windows server production environments
- Experience with implementing and maintaining virtualization solutions
- Experience maintaining complex monitoring tools
- Subject matter expert in one or more disciplines
- Web services engineering and SaaS experience a plus
- Strong shell scripting or Python experience
- Virtualization in a production environment
- Experience with networking, load balancing, internal and external DNS, and proxy technologies a must
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills and proactive thinking
- Strong communications and customer service skills
- Able to prioritize in a fast moving, high pressure, constantly changing environment with high sense of urgency
- You keep up with new technologies because it interests you, not just because it’s part of the job
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, MIS or related field, or equivalent experience
Is this the right opportunity for YOU?
If you have the desired qualifications, below are reasons you should apply for this position.
- Want to provide the best solution that helps small businesses and entrepreneurs get the capital and financial services they need to succeed and support their local communities.
- Be a part of an organization that operates like a start-up. The team decides the best technical approach and commitments, not your manager.
- Collaborate with super-smart people to build a next generation platform with plenty of challenging engineering problems, as we enable capabilities to transform the outdated financial banking system.
- Ability to work on greenfield projects using the latest technology.