What is Live Oak Labs?
Live Oak Labs is a fast-paced development shop that functions as a well-funded start-up. We are the technology arm of Live Oak Bank, who has a history of transforming banking thru technology. Having already spun-off two fintech SaaS companies, Live Oak is a different kind of bank and proven leader in banking innovation. We’re on a mission to revolutionize the banking experience, with the use of open banking platforms, native cloud technologies, and modern user experiences, for our modern world.
We’re seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our DevTools team in either our Wilmington headquarters or our new office on NC State’s Centennial Campus in Raleigh. This is a unique opportunity for a versatile senior software engineer to provide the tools that enable other engineers to be more effective. The success of your team’s efforts should enable the success of the rest of our engineering teams, all working to deliver the future of banking.
What You’ll Do at Live Oak
You'll work on a cross-functional scrum team within a scaled agile environment to build out tooling that enables our feature teams to expedite, validate, and measure the performance of their product deliverables. Essentially, your customers are the other engineering teams, and your products are the common infrastructure, tools, and automation that empowers other engineers to continuously deliver and measure via a self-service model. Below are some of the activities you would perform on regular basis.
- Be a hands-on contributor that can assist with the roll-out of infrastructure, tools, and processes congruent with a cross-organization DevOps mindset and culture.
- Work with the technology leadership and the broader organization to deliver reliable infrastructure and tools that support our engineering teams and products.
- Participate in continually refining and prioritizing the work necessary to support our DevOps tools and infrastructure.
- Provide system administration and operations support for existing infrastructure and pipelines, while executing on a plan to create tools and automation that enable more of this responsibility to be moved into the engineering teams.
- Introduce and maintain operations tooling that enables engineers to get real-time telemetry on application performance, exception handling and logging, and product usage information.
- Promote the adoption and execution of industry best practices related to continuous integration and delivery, automated deployments, operations, infrastructure, support, and test automation.
- Help establish and document designs, standards, and user guides to help engineers consume the tools you create.
- Manage high-availability and growth of our systems, service updates, systems maintenance and validation.
- Participate in 24x7 site reliability rotations, escalation workflows, and production incidents management.
We are in the process of building our next generation banking platform using a microservices architectural style with a lot of Node.js and AWS cloud-native technologies. As part of that effort, we're also evaluating popular frontend web and mobile technologies, such as Angular, React, and Vue.js for our next generation banking experience.
Members of the DevTools team will help pave the roads that enable us to scale our new microservices architecture and cloud-based infrastructure to all of the other engineering teams.
Software Engineers likely to succeed in this role have most of the qualifications listed below.
- Ability to work in a team environment and not take yourself too seriously.
- Strong initiative to champion and support improvements to processes, tools, methodologies, and product quality.
- You possess a solid understanding of the concepts behind microservices architecture and the capabilities required to support a modern distributed software architecture.
- Excellent knowledge of Agile methodologies and other software development best practices, tools, and development processes to optimize product engineering throughput and quality.
- Experience designing and building solutions on public cloud-based infrastructure, addressing concerns such as Compute, Networking, Storage, Database, and/or Security.
- Strong programming skills and knowledge of patterns and practices for object-oriented design and development.
- Experience writing and reviewing code to automate infrastructure, builds, tests, and/or deployments using one or more DevOps automation tools.
- Strong knowledge and experience working with container and/or serverless technologies, such as Docker and/or AWS Lambdas.
- Hands-on experience and expertise with continuous integration and delivery, log aggregation and analysis, performance monitoring/tuning, and security.
- Experience using, configuring, and troubleshooting Linux based systems in a data center and/or public cloud infrastructure.
- Passionate about automation, configuration management, and infrastructure as code. You are the type of person that will automate the task, if it needs to be repeated.
- Experience in planning, implementation, and support of business application components, including change and release management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, MIS or related field, or equivalent experience.
Is this the right opportunity for YOU?
If you have the desired qualifications, below are reasons you should apply for this position.
- You'll build software that matters. We make software that helps small businesses and entrepreneurs get the capital and financial services they need to succeed and support their local communities.
- You'll be part of an empowered agile team that operates like a start-up. Your team decides the best technical approach and commitments, not your manager.
- You'll collaborate with super-smart people to build a next generation platform with plenty of challenging engineering problems, as we enable capabilities to transform the outdated financial banking system.
- You'll work on greenfield projects using the latest technology. Our new platform will be based on Open APIs, NOSQL, NodeJS, native cloud and modern frontend technologies. We’re still making a lot of decisions around the tech stack, meaning you could be a key influencer in the future of our technology.