The Sous Chef is ‘second in command’ in the kitchen and whose duties primarily consist of assisting the Head Chef in various areas of daily kitchen operations that include, but not limited to, food production, staff management, sanitation, and product purchasing and storage.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- In the absence of the Head Chef, the Sous Chef assumes responsibilities and duties of the Head Chef.
- Comply with standards of The Grove and assists in assuring the same from all kitchen employees.
- Assists in managing the day-to-day operation of the kitchen, coordinate food production schedules and ensure highest level of food quality, taste and presentation.
- Participate in actual food preparation, produce food consistently high quality, taste and presentation and expedite during peak meal periods as needed.
- Control food cost by assisting in training kitchen staff on the proper methods of food preparation and handling, by training kitchen employees on how to handle leftover food items.
- Ensures that all kitchen employees consistently adhere to uniform, grooming and appearance standards.
- Establish and require strict adherence to health department and food handling guidelines
- Help develop menus & create and ensure adherence to recipes and product specifications.
- Train kitchen staff on all new menus.
- Maintain effective working relationship with food and beverage management
- Complete daily food orders based upon scheduled events and projected levels of business.
- Conduct regular inspections of the entire kitchen/dish-washing areas and coolers. Ensure proper food rotation (FIFO) and sanitation procedures.
- Ensure the kitchen is left clean everyday and all coolers are locked.
- Must be ServSafe Certified
- Have competent Knife Skills and ability in all areas of kitchen production
- Good Time Management and effective communication with other station cooks
- Basic culinary math and recipe scaling
- Flexibility in schedule with the ability to work early mornings, some evening and weekends, inside and outside.
- Must be totally passionate about food, health and all things The Grove
- Understand the meaning of Organic, Gluten Free and Vegan
- Must be team oriented
- Ability to read, speak clearly and listen attentively
- Maintain proper personal hygiene and professional appearance at all times
- Positive and Enthusiastic approach to assignments
- Must love to eat and taste
- Must be able to stand for 8 hours minimum.
- Reach overhead
- Climb a ladder.
- Lift up to 50 pounds.
- Stooping and bending