What is Live Oak Labs?
Live Oak Labs is a fast-paced development shop that functions as a well-funded start-up. We are the technology arm of Live Oak Bank, who has a history of transforming banking thru technology. Having already spun-off two fintech SaaS companies, Live Oak is a different kind of bank and proven leader in banking innovation. We’re on a mission to revolutionize the banking experience, with the use of open banking platforms, native cloud technologies, and modern user experiences, for our modern world.
We’re are seeking a Product Owner to join our Internal Development team in either our Wilmington headquarters or our new office on NC State’s Centennial Campus in Raleigh. Our Internal Development team builds and maintains a portfolio of applications and product integrations that support the various functions across the bank. This is an excellent opportunity for a Product Owner to work very closely with their customers on a regular basis and to deliver technical solutions that directly benefit their fellow colleagues at Live Oak Bank.
What You’ll Do at Live Oak
The qualified candidate is responsible for planning and executing design to launch activities related to the introduction and ongoing enhancements to internal banking applications and product integrations. This person is the internal customer’s primary point of contact and ensures proper execution of product launches and appropriate communication across Live Oak Bank.
- Become a subject matter expert on the different functions and technologies used at the bank and harness that knowledge to guide product decisions.
- Maintain the product road map and communicate scope, requirements, and priorities at the beginning of each sprint to support incremental delivery of MVPs.
- Translate customer requirements into user stories, acceptance criteria, and UI mock-ups for incremental consumption by the engineering team.
- Work with stakeholders, engineering, and the broader product management team to build, refine, and prioritize the product backlog.
- Work closely with engineers to describe and validate product deliverables, and to prioritize incoming streams of feature requests and escalated support cases.
- Maintain an optimal balance of new feature development, product maintenance, and support tooling that helps maximize the overall success of the different functions across the bank.
- Attend and participate in agile ceremonies as the product owner and steward the product development life-cycle.
- Lead the go-to-market strategy and provide training to internal teams (Operations, Sales, etc.).
- Establish and foster key relationships with partners, clients, and domain experts to inform product requirements.
- Triage incoming support issues related to your team's products and provide regular communication to stakeholders on the status of these issues.
- Identify key usage metrics and use empirical analysis to drive prioritization and product evolution.
Many of the technology solutions built by our Internal Development team take advantage of the capabilities provided by the Salesforce Platform, which includes integrations with various third-party products. The Product Owner uses a combination of Aha!, Jira, and Confluence to capture and communicate requirements and priorities to stakeholders and the engineering team.
Candidates most likely to succeed in this role possess many of the qualifications listed below.
- Experience working as a product manager, product owner or business analyst within an agile development organization.
- Experience eliciting requirements from stakeholders and translating those into well-written user stories.
- Good with numbers, analyzing data, and asking the right questions relevant to actual product usage and requirements.
- Strong ability to understand and empathize with the customer and to convey that understanding to engineers and support staff.
- Experience building out a product strategy and backlog based on the various needs and priorities of different stakeholders.
- Proven ability to understand the big picture, as well as the behind-the-scenes technical concepts related to banking and small businesses.
- Strong facilitator and collaborator, with the ability to build consensus without clear (direct) authority.
- Capable of making and understanding the impact of complex prioritization decisions under time pressure.
- Strong communication with ability to communicate effectively and develop relationships across multiple levels of the organization.
- Solid business acumen, demonstrating strategic thinking, operational savvy, and sound judgment.
- Design-driven to deliver exceptional experiences that delight our customers, users, and teammates.
- Success (and lessons-learned failures) leading multiple, time-critical projects.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree, plus 3-5 years of experience in a Product Management, Sales, Operations, or Analyst role in the banking industry, including 3+ years in a Product Owner role.
Is this the right opportunity for YOU?
If you have the desired qualifications, below are reasons you should apply for this position.
- You'll be a part of a team that will build software that matters. We make software that helps small businesses and entrepreneurs get the capital and financial services they need to succeed and support their local communities.
- You'll be part of an empowered agile team that operates like a start-up. Your team decides the best technical approach and commitments, not your manager.
- You'll collaborate with super-smart people to build technology solutions that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of your colleagues across the bank.