Why Live Oak Labs?
Live Oak Labs is a fast-paced development shop that functions as a well-funded start-up. We are the technology arm of Live Oak Bank, who has a history of transforming banking thru technology. Having already spun-off two fintech SaaS companies, Live Oak is a different kind of bank and proven leader in banking innovation. We’re on a mission to revolutionize the banking experience, with the use of open banking platforms, native cloud technologies, and modern user experiences, for our modern world.
We are seeking a Software Engineering Manager to lead a couple of our software engineering teams to usher in the next generation of technology at the bank. This role will reside in our Wilmington headquarters and is an excellent opportunity for a technology leader that is passionate about building up individuals and teams to deliver quality software.
What You’ll Do at Live Oak
As an Engineering Manager at Live Oak, you'll work closely with our product and engineering teams to deliver software to our internal and external customers using the agile development methodology. Your day to day activities will vary as needed to support the responsibilities outlined below.
- Work with product and engineering teams to shape product roadmaps and technology strategies that align with the needs of the bank.
- Work across teams to develop and apply engineering standards that ensure the quality, security, and maintainability of our software.
- Monitor the health and performance of your teams and drive a culture of teamwork, accountability, and continuous improvement.
- Provide regular feedback, coaching, and career development for each of the individuals on your team.
- Ensure your teams stay informed of the big picture and have the necessary information to determine benefits and tradeoffs for their designs.
- Keep up with your team’s roadmap and deliverables, and ensure they're maintaining a healthy balance between feature work and technical debt.
- Develop staffing plans, drive recruiting, and perform onboarding activities as needed to maintain development capacity.
- Assist with coordination and information sharing across teams that are contributing towards common initiatives across the bank.
- Support change management efforts that continuously drive the evolution and maturing of practices across the engineering organization.
We are in the process of building our next generation banking platform using a microservices architectural style with a lot of Node.js and AWS cloud-native technologies. As part of that effort, we're also evaluating popular frontend web and mobile technologies, such as Angular, React, and Vue.js for our next generation banking experience.
Candidates most likely to succeed in this role have many of the qualifications listed below.
- 10+ years’ of software development experience with at least 3 years in a leadership position.
- You're a leader that is passionate about technology and software development that can inspire others to deliver and continuously improve.
- Experience leading and contributing to complex engineering initiatives that has acquired some hard-earned lessons along the way.
- Strong technical foundation with demonstrable knowledge of distributed architectures, object-oriented programming, devops, and engineering best practices.
- Well versed in the agile development methodology, with experience leading teams to adopt agile scrum, self-organize, and continuously improve.
- Experience navigating ambiguity and competing priorities to achieve concrete results in a fast-paced environment.
- You have experience building consensus and driving long-running improvement initiatives across multiple teams.
- Proven track record of coaching up and delivering critical feedback to engineers of varying levels of experience.
- Strong organizational and management skills to define and execute projects, processes, and plans necessary to support the organization.
- You're a good teammate and have experience enabling individual contributors to achieve greater results thru teamwork.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, with the ability to communicate complex ideas across multiple levels of the organization.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, MIS or related field, or equivalent experience.
Is this the right opportunity for YOU?
If you have the desired qualifications, below are reasons you should apply for this position.
- You'll build software that matters. We make software that helps small businesses and entrepreneurs get the capital and financial services they need to succeed and support their local communities.
- You'll lead and collaborate with super-smart people to build a next generation platform with plenty of challenging engineering problems, as we enable capabilities to transform the outdated financial banking system.
- You'll work on greenfield projects using the latest technology. Our new platform will be based on Open APIs, NOSQL, NodeJS, native cloud and modern frontend technologies. We’re still making a lot of decisions around the tech stack and this role would be a key influencer in the future of our technology.