In accordance with established lending policies and procedures, and under the guidance of the Head of Underwriting and Underwriting Training and Development Manager(s) develops an understanding in examining, evaluating, and closing commercial extensions of credit, predominately through SBA loan programs. May request specified information for loan application. Responsible for assembling information required by Live Oak and counsel to properly close loans. Develops customer relationships through friendly, courteous and responsive service. Develops understanding of commercial lending and SBA Program rules and procedures. Promotes Bank's services to current and potential customers.
- Works with an experienced Loan Officer to complete the underwriting of the application to include the analysis of applicants' financial status, credit, and property evaluation to determine if loan requests meet the bank's and SBA's lending criteria. Evaluates the sources of repayment on loan requests and does a competition analysis.
- Develops an understanding of bank policies and procedures as well as SBA standards and SOP's. Reviews the loans for SBA eligibility and verifies same.
- Completes the customer interview. Makes an assessment of the customer and resolves outstanding questions related to the transaction.
- Develops expertise in use of Bank loan systems. Ensures that all documents required for the credit approval of the loan transaction are uploaded to Sales Force.
- Responsible for preparing the Credit Memorandum detailing the loan request, completing personal and business financial analysis for credit worthiness, and complying with banking regulatory guidelines and SBA eligibility, as applicable.
- Submits the loan request to Underwriting Management for preliminary file review and responsible for making appropriate corrections, until proficiency is demonstrated.
- Submits the loan request to Credit Administration to secure approval for the transaction. Works closely and directly with the credit officer, answers questions about the loan and the customer which allows the credit officer to become comfortable with the request.
- Prepares, packages and communicates with SBA lending personnel on GP loan submission requests.
- After the loan is approved, issues the commitment letter and tracks until it is returned signed and accepted.
- Orders third party appraisal(s) on real estate, business valuation(s) and environmental assessment(s). Reviews documentation upon completion for compliance with loan conditions.
- Develops industry expertise in serving specified market niches.
- Ensures a smooth transfer of the customer to the Loan Closing Specialist for the closing and funding of the loan.
- Works with the Closer throughout the loan process up though the loan funding, including but not limited to file clean up, review and approval of all Underwriting items, preparation of Change Memos, complying with all Prefunding file review items as needed to ensure a smooth and timely loan closing.
- Works with the Construction Relationship Manager on Multiple Disbursements loans throughout the loan process until the loan closes, including but not limited to review of documents received, and preparing of Change Memos, as applicable.
- Keeps abreast of economic conditions, changes and trends in customers' businesses, the banking industry and the specific market niches targeted by the bank.
- Has responsibility for following regulatory requirements including those pertaining to the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Customer Identification Program (CIP), and OFAC to assist in the identification, detection and determent of money laundering or other unlawful activities.
- Functions as a team and realizes all members of the team are vital to its success.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Sound judgment.
- Detail oriented and high level of ownership in lending process.
- PC proficiency.
- In-depth knowledge of Bank lending policies, procedures and criteria.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, or Marketing or underwriting or related industry experience
- An MBA is preferred
- Formal SBA credit training is preferred.
- Credit analyst/lending experience is preferred.
Physical Demands/Work Environment Requirements:
- Vision, hearing, speech, movements requiring the use of wrists, hands and/or fingers
- Able to sit, stand, stoop and bend
- The ability to work the days and hours required to fulfill the essential functions of the position
- The ability to work long hours and to multitask
- Learning, thinking, concentration
- The ability to interact with others and exercise self-control
- The ability to work under stressful conditions, particularly in customer and employee relations’ situations
- The ability to make decisions and exercise discretion, when necessary