What is Live Oak Labs?
Live Oak Labs is a fast-paced development shop that functions as a well-funded start-up. We are the technology arm of Live Oak Bank, who has a history of transforming banking thru technology. Having already spun-off two fintech SaaS companies, Live Oak is a different kind of bank and proven leader in banking innovation. We’re on a mission to revolutionize the banking experience, with the use of open banking platforms, native cloud technologies, and modern user experiences, for our modern world.
We’re seeking a Software Engineer to join our team in either our Wilmington headquarters or our new office on NC State’s Centennial Campus in Raleigh. This is an excellent opportunity for an engineer that is passionate about learning and problem solving to join an experienced team that is helping transform technology at Live Oak and beyond.
What You’ll Do at Live Oak
You'll work on a cross-functional scrum team within a scaled agile environment and perform many of the activities below.
- Analyze and design new features to streamline the collection, analysis, and calculations of financial data to help users make informed financial decisions via an intuitive user interface.
- Write maintainable full-stack code in a professional software engineering environment (source control, 2-week release cycles, continuous integration, etc.).
- Help establish and document designs and engineer standards, as well as participate in peer reviews.
- Write unit and other test automation to ensure the quality of your team’s deliverables.
- Build innovative and performant features into our next generation web applications.
- Design and implement libraries and frameworks that allow us to effectively scale development on our different applications.
- Participate in training and customer support activities as needed.
- Learn quickly and adapt fast. We are looking for folks to lead the charge, not just keep up with it.
We are in the process of building our next generation banking platform using a microservices architectural style with a lot of Node.js and AWS cloud-native technologies. As part of that effort, we're also evaluating popular frontend web and mobile technologies, such as Angular, React, and Vue.js for our next generation banking experience.
Software Engineers likely to succeed in this role have most of the qualifications listed below.
- Ability to work in a team environment and not take yourself too seriously.
- Strong initiative to champion and support improvements to processes, tools, methodologies, and product quality.
- Strong programming fundamentals and knowledge of patterns and practices for object-oriented programming.
- Experience writing unit and higher order test automation for your team's deliverables.
- Experience integrating different databases and/or third-party services using REST and SOAP.
- Ability to work in the abstract when discussing problems and use attention to detail when implementing solutions.
- Working knowledge of Agile methodologies and other software development best practices and tools.
- You keep up with new technologies because it interests you, not just because it’s part of the job.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, MIS or related field, or equivalent experience.
Is this the right opportunity for YOU?
If you have the desired qualifications, below are reasons you should apply for this position.
- You'll build software that matters. We make software that helps small businesses and entrepreneurs get the capital and financial services they need to succeed and support their local communities.
- You'll be part of an empowered agile team that operates like a start-up. Your team decides the best technical approach and commitments, not your manager.
- You'll collaborate with super-smart people to build a next generation platform with plenty of challenging engineering problems, as we enable capabilities to transform the outdated financial banking system.
- You'll work on greenfield projects using the latest technology. Our new platform will be based on Open APIs, NOSQL, NodeJS, native cloud and modern frontend technologies. We’re still making a lot of decisions around the tech stack, meaning you could be a key influencer in the future of our technology.