at Live Oak Bank • Raleigh, North Carolina, United States, Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
(View all jobs)
What is Live Oak Labs?
Live Oak Labs is a fast-paced development shop that functions as a well-funded start-up. We are the technology arm of Live Oak Bank, who has a history of transforming banking thru technology. Having already spun-off two fintech SaaS companies, Live Oak is a different kind of bank and proven leader in banking innovation. We’re on a mission to revolutionize the banking experience, with the use of open banking platforms, native cloud technologies, and modern user experiences, for our modern world.
We’re seeking a Product Owner to join Live Oak Labs in either our Wilmington headquarters or our new office on NC State’s Centennial Campus in Raleigh. The Product Owner plays a critical role in Live Oak Bank’s mission to be the model bank for digital transformation. The qualified candidate is responsible for collaborating with internal/external stakeholders, Product Management, and the development team to build a backlog that captures Live Oak Bank’s vision for its products and services. This person is the internal and external customer’s primary point of contact and ensures that the product vision is conveyed to the development team along with effectively communicating delivered outcomes across Live Oak Bank.
What You’ll Do at Live Oak:
You'll work on a cross-functional scrum team within a scaled agile environment, performing many of the activities below.
- Lead scrum team with the planning, design, execution, launch, and adoption of new and enhanced products and services.
- Collaborate with internal business units: sales, marketing, product development, operations, risk/compliance, information security, and support.
- Collaborate with the scrum team to set goals that capture the ‘problems to solve’ for a given sprint.
- Serve on the scrum team and facilitate sprint planning, backlog refinement, and sprint reviews.
- Understand and stay current on the banking business (i.e. loans, deposits, leasing, online, mobile services) and the impact of changes in technology that create threats or opportunities.
- Continue to differentiate Live Oak through the delivery of an unparalleled digital customer experience that maximizes operational efficiencies and reflects a deep understanding of our customers’ needs.
- Active involvement in evaluating and implementing channel and ecosystem partner solutions that benefit Live Oak and our customers.
- Effectively define product scope, objectives, and requirements that are communicated via the product backlog.
- Define epics, features, user stories, and data flows for product development.
- Actively participate in product development sprints.
- Devise and/or modify processes and procedures to achieve greater efficiencies to solve complex problems.
- Influence clients, partners and service providers regarding priorities, software selection and/or vendor selection.
- Training and knowledge transfer related to new products and services.
Product Owners likely to succeed in this role have most of the qualifications listed below:
- Deep understanding of the product owner role in the scrum framework.
- Proficient in writing user stories and epics that capture the user’s interaction with the product(s).
- Strong facilitation skills (e.g. sprint planning, roadmap planning, stakeholder prioritization, etc).
- Understanding of the 5 levels of planning and how to convey them to stakeholders and customers.
- Planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated decision-making ability and desire to lead.
- Conflict management and conflict resolution skills.
- Deep understanding of banking a plus:
- Commercial SBA, conventional and asset-based lending.
- Consumer and business checking products; bill payment, bill presentment, checking services, ACH, wires, real-time payments.
- Online, mobile services, and emerging platforms.
- Strong customer service orientation; consistently meet commitments; demonstrated desire to exceed expectations.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving skills; ability to deal with ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Remain focused under pressure.
- Understanding of CRM (i.e. Salesforce.com) from tools and process perspective.
- Knowledge of project, product management and product development techniques and tools (e.g. Jira, Aha).
- Qualified individuals possess the Live Oak Bank attributes of being smart, curious, committed to vision, passionate, fun/pleasant, an achiever, and having a sense of urgency.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to work and collaborate independently with internal and external teams.
- Proficient using Office 365 suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- 3+ years of cumulative experience in related banking, financial technology or product owner role.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Finance, Business Administration or a related field; or an appropriate combination of work experience and education.
- Product owner certification from a recognized organization a plus
Is this the right opportunity for YOU?
If you have the desired qualifications, below are reasons you should apply for this position.
- You'll build software that matters. We make software that helps small businesses and entrepreneurs get the capital and financial services they need to succeed and support their local communities.
- You'll be part of an empowered agile team that operates like a start-up. Your team decides the best technical approach and commitments, not your manager.
- You'll collaborate with super-smart people to build a next generation platform with plenty of challenging product and engineering problems, as we enable capabilities to transform the outdated financial banking system.
Physical demands/work environment requirements:
- Vision, hearing, speech, movements requiring the use of wrists, hands and/or fingers
- Able to sit, stand, stoop and bend
- The ability to work the days and hours required to fulfill the essential functions of the position
- The ability to work long hours and to multitask
- Ability to travel when needed (typically less than 25%).
- Learning, thinking, concentration, creativity
- The ability to interact with others and exercise self-control
- The ability to work under stressful conditions
- The ability to exercise discretion when necessary
- The ability to manage multiple files simultaneously