Portfolio Analyst (PA)
Live Oak is more than a bank. Live Oak helps people realize their full potential so they can create meaningful impact at work, home or in their communities. As an innovation hub, we fully embrace a bold approach to solving problems and surpassing goals. Daily life at Live Oak centers around a culture of taking care of each other, which has made us one of the most desirable places to work. We’ve topped the list of American Banker’s “Best Banks to Work For” because of our unparalleled dedication to our people. Our commitment to our customers and our culture is intertwined, so we seek those who embody and embrace what it takes to empower the American dream. Learn more at liveoakbank.com.
How This Role impacts Live Oak and its People
The Portfolio Analyst (PA) will nurture customer and employee relationships while managing the credit risk and loan quality of assigned accounts. A PA serves as an integral part the bank’s credit risk management and is responsible for collecting and analyzing financial data, completing financial spread analysis, testing financial covenants, and completing loan reviews and renewals. Additionally, a PA must anticipate customer needs, analyze, and proactively respond to account trends. Finally, a PA is expected to gain a sound understanding of their clients’ business to facilitate meaningful feedback. A PA will be responsible to manage various assigned projects.
This role will support the Energy & Infrastructure teams; including, solar (distributed energy finance & renewable energy), bioenergy, and water environmental programs. To be successful in this role, it is preferred but not required to have experience with USDA loan products and requirements, including financial covenant management and loan documentation. This role will also oversee the flow of funds as required under a cash management agreement for solar projects within the assigned portfolio. This includes monitoring the collateral reserve accounts for satisfactory balances and taking necessary action when balances fall below requirements. Experience understanding and interpreting Power Purchase Agreements or ability to learn is highly desirable.
What You’ll Do at Live Oak
- Acts as the primary point of a contact for the client and as a liaison to internal teams (such as underwriting, credit, closing, construction, operations, and others).
- Applies sound judgment, innovation, and appropriate creativity in management of client relationships.
- Responsible for building and maintaining a rapport with customer to ensure proper management of the account.
- Works with loan operations to ensure the proper booking of all facilities on the loan system.
- Spreads financial statements and calculates certain ratios including measures of liquidity, leverage, and cash flow.
- Tests financial covenants and addresses out of compliance situations timely and within the parameters of the Bank’s credit policies and procedures.
- Completes accurate and timely Credit Memos, Reviews and Renewals in accordance with Bank procedures and policy. Manage the renewal process by working with the client and the credit department.
- Proactively look for ways to improve our processes and make suggestions when you identify those opportunities. Never hesitate to point out red flags
How You’ll Do It
- Take ownership of your primary responsibilities and goals; Pursue them with enthusiasm.
- Conducts periodic customer visits to obtain enhanced knowledge of account for financial review.
- Monitor and ensure that client Credit Files remain up to date. This will include creating client credit files, setting up reporting and covenant ticklers, and assisting with various reporting requirements.
- Collects and tracks timely receipt of borrower financial statements.
- Reviews borrower financial statements to develop information sufficient to determine the borrowing capacity, capitalization, and cash flow dynamics of an applicant.
- May make presentations in various department meetings on specific loans recommending appropriate action or structure of credits.
- Exhibit a sense of pride in helping our clients and your teammates achieve their respective goals
- Exercise sound judgement; When needed, ask for help or guidance
- Communicate effectively to set and meet realistic expectations
- Completes additional tasks as needed by the specific lending team the PA supports
- Completes special projects as assigned.
Required and Preferred Experience
The successful candidate will have strong organizational skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and possess a high degree of financial statement analytical skills. Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent work experience of five or more years in a bank credit department is highly preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated experience in effectively writing/reviewing loan presentations that identify key risks and mitigants as well as conducting cash flow analysis and collateral evaluation.
- Excellent analytical and financial analysis skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Strong credit and risk management skills with working knowledge of lending policies and procedures
- Working knowledge of loan agreements, loan structuring, and collateral procedures
- Ability to make timely, sound recommendations to management while ensuring bank policies and procedures are met
- Upholds core values and builds team member and customer relationships.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing credit software to capture credit applications; above-average PC skills including MS Office Applications (Word, Excel) and the ability to quickly learn new software / systems.
- Collaborative and highly coachable
- Dependable and possessing a strong work ethic
Required to Thrive at Live Oak
- Dedication– You possess a deep commitment to Live Oak Bank’s mission and core values, exemplified through a strong work ethic, adaptability and pride in your work.
- Ownership– You take initiative to deliver positive results by proactively and creatively solving problems, while maintaining a high degree of quality.
- Innovation– You embrace fresh ideas and fearlessly contribute new solutions to emerging or existing problems.
- Teamwork– You understand that together, we do more. Only through collaboration, accountability and trust can we accomplish our mission.
- Respect– You treat everyone with courtesy, politeness and kindness.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.