Live Oak is more than a bank. Live Oak helps people realize their full potential so they can create meaningful impact at work, home or in their communities. As an innovation hub, we fully embrace a bold approach to solving problems and surpassing goals. Daily life at Live Oak centers around a culture of taking care of each other, which has made us one of the most desirable places to work. We’ve topped the list of American Banker’s “Best Banks to Work For” because of our unparalleled dedication to our people. Our commitment to our customers and our culture is intertwined, so we seek those who embody and embrace what it takes to empower the American dream. Learn more at liveoakbank.com.
How This Role impacts Live Oak and its People
The Senior Software Engineering role will engage closely with multiple departments and stakeholders to implement Live Oak’s data strategy.
What You’ll Do at Live Oak
You'll work on a cross-functional scrum team within a scaled agile environment, performing many of the activities below.
- Analyze and design functionality to integrate different systems and consolidate data to streamline the end-user’s experience and provide richer data insights to the business.
- Help establish and document designs and engineering standards, as well as participate in peer reviews.
- Work on a full-stack engineering team dedicated to following the Agile methodology and writing maintainable code. Our current infrastructure is built on AWS using technologies like Lambdas, Data Pipelines, Glue, DynamoDB, S3, and Redshift.
- You’ll play a key role in executing on Live Oak’s data strategy by working with data lakes, data warehouses, data pipelines and everything in between.
- Continually deliver features and functionality to bank stakeholders on a 2-week release cycle.
- Work alongside different departments within the bank and learn their domain.
- Design and implement libraries and frameworks that allow us to effectively scale development on our different applications.
- Learn quickly and adapt fast. We are looking for folks to lead the charge, not just keep up with it.
How You’ll Do It
- You'll build software that matters. We make software that helps small businesses and entrepreneurs get the capital and financial services they need to succeed and support their local communities.
- Your team decides the best technical approach and commitments, not your manager.
- You'll collaborate with super-smart people to build a next generation platform with plenty of challenging engineering problems, as we enable capabilities to transform the outdated financial banking system.
- You’ll be a technical leader that facilitates effective coordination and communication within your team.
Required and Preferred Experience
- 5+ years of hands-on experience building highly scalable and secure web applications.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of API architecture styles like REST.
- Experience working with AWS services such as Lambdas, Glue, S3, Data Pipelines, Cloud Formation, SQS, Kinesis, and VPCs.
- Experience working with data science teams, data lakes, or data warehouses a huge plus.
- Strong understanding of the Agile methodology and their role within the scrum process.
- Ability to take ownership of complex issues and drive solutions that benefit the broader organization.
- Proficient at unit testing, debugging, monitoring, and logging tools for effective troubleshooting of complex issues.
- Experience with mentoring other team members.
Required to Thrive at Live Oak
- Dedication– You possess a deep commitment to Live Oak Bank’s mission and core values, exemplified through a strong work ethic, adaptability and pride in your work.
- Ownership– You take initiative to deliver positive results by proactively and creatively solving problems, while maintaining a high degree of quality.
- Innovation– You embrace fresh ideas and fearlessly contribute new solutions to emerging or existing problems.
- Teamwork– You foster collaboration, accountability and trust with others and understand that together, we do more.
- Respect– You treat everyone with courtesy, politeness and kindness.
“The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.”