The Product Owner plays a critical role in Live Oak Bank’s mission to be the model bank for digital transformation. The qualified candidate is responsible for planning and executing design to launch activities related to the introduction and ongoing enhancement of banking products and services. This person is the internal and external customer’s primary point of contact and ensures proper execution of product launches and appropriate communication across Live Oak Bank.
- Lead the planning, design, execution, launch and adoption of new and enhanced products and services.
- Collaborate with internal teams; business owners, sales, marketing, development, operations, risk/compliance, information security and support.
- Research and evaluate trends and analyze emerging opportunities resulting from changing market conditions, technology improvements and internal or external customer needs.
- Serve on the Product Development team, contributing to sprint and version planning, adding requirements, developing and maintaining product release plans, assisting with user acceptance testing and ensuring that the delivery occurs on time and within planned budget.
- Understand and stay current on the banking business (i.e. loans, deposits, leasing, online, mobile services) and the impact of changes in technology that create threats or opportunities.
- Continue to differentiate Live Oak through the delivery of an unparalleled digital customer experience that maximizes operational efficiencies and reflects a deep understanding of our customers’ needs.
- Active involvement in evaluating and implementing channel and ecosystem partner solutions that benefit Live Oak and our customers.
- Define product scope, objectives and requirements.
- Define epics, features, user stories and data flows for product development and testing and actively participate in product development sprints.
- Devise and/or modify processes and procedures to achieve greater efficiencies to solve complex problems.
- Influence clients, partners and service providers regarding priorities, software selection and/or vendor selection.
- Training and knowledge transfer related to new products and services.
- Deep understanding of banking:
- Commercial SBA, conventional and asset-based lending
- Consumer and business checking products; bill payment, bill presentment, checking services, ACH, wires, real-time payments
- Online and mobile services and emerging solutions; wearables, chatbots
- Strong customer service orientation; consistently meet commitments; demonstrated desire to exceed expectations.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving skills; ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated decision-making ability and desire to lead.
- Conflict management and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to tolerate stressful situations and remain focused under pressure.
- Understanding of CRM (i.e. Salesforce.com) from tools and process perspective.
- Knowledge of project, product management and product development techniques and tools (e.g., Jira, Aha, Slack, Sharepoint, Excel, Powerpoint, MSTeams)
- Qualified individuals possess the Live Oak Bank attributes of being smart, curious, committed to vision, passionate, fun/pleasant, an achiever and having a sense of urgency.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with internal and external teams.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Finance, Business Administration or a related field; or an appropriate combination of work experience and education.
- 5+ years experience in related banking, financial technology or similar product owner role.
Physical Demands/Work Environment Requirements:
- Vision, hearing, speech, movements requiring the use of wrists, hands and/or fingers
- Able to sit, stand, stoop and bend
- The ability to work the days and hours required to fulfill the essential functions of the position
- The ability to work long hours and to multitask
- Ability to travel when needed (typically less than 25%).
- Learning, thinking, concentration, creativity
- The ability to interact with others and exercise self-control
- The ability to work under stressful conditions
- The ability to exercise discretion when necessary
- The ability to manage multiple files simultaneously